January 8, 2014

Happy to be Home for the Holidays [part one]!

[Disclaimer to my last post. Well two actually:

1) I did enjoy SLU and realize that might not be so apparent in that post. I had so much that I wanted to say, I knew I would accidentally leave something important out. I neglected to mention that staying at SLU just wouldn't have gone well strategically for trying to become an art teacher, especially in comparison to Purdue. At SLU the best I could really get would be to major in elementary education and minor in art possibly. Not only would this limit my employment options by limiting the grades I would be certified to teach (and wouldn't allow me to explore my options and see if I have a preference for teaching high school, middle school, or elementary school), but my education courses at SLU would prepare me to teach in a normal classroom and not be specified towards teaching art. Overall Purdue would set me up to be a more successful teacher in the future and also be more interesting to me as I am taking my classes (something that I found lacking and part of the problem when taking my physical therapy courses). 

2) I am a good writer and also a good editor, I just never really take the time to edit my blog posts or even read back through them, even though I should. I suppose because of this my blog is not reflective of my best writing. By the time I write a post and then upload all of the pictures I am usually just ready to post it and not take the extra time to re-read it and fix mistakes. Maybe I could work on that.]

Saturday December 14 I woke up early to try to go to The Lord's Pantry with my dad, but I didn't have my car and it just ended up falling through. I fell back asleep, feeling bad that I wasn't able to go. It had snowed over night and was really pretty outside! Later in the day Josue came over and hung out. Even though the roads were bad we decided to venture out for a drive. It was so much fun! I love riding in the car with him holding hands and singing along to music together. I'm so thankful for him.
Josue, my mom, Dan, and I watched a Hallmark Christmas movie but weren't that impressed by it. It was still fun though! Then that evening when Josue was going home he dropped me off at my dad's house so I could be at my dad's when he woke up Sunday morning on his birthday!
My dad and I hung out during the day which included making caramels and peanut brittle. I had never really helped in the process of either, and enjoyed it even though my arm got tired from all of the continuous stirring involved!
I also went with Hilary and her parents for a bit to Walmart to shop for kids for the REINdeer program in town that gives presents to kids who otherwise would receive none. I love doing this! We did this every year in NAHS in high school and Morgan and I always had so much fun trying to stick to budget while buying as much as possible for the kids. I remember one year we pitched in some of our own money, rather than money raised in NAHS because we wanted to get a coloring book that would have gone over budget, and another year we struck up a conversation with our cashier who hadn't heard of the program and was really moved as we explained it to her. Hilary and I had a lot of fun, our job was to buy the toys because the clothes had already been taken care of. It was a little difficult because we hadn't heard of some of the toys, but eventually we found everything! Then afterwards we went to Little Mexico for lunch with her parents.

That evening my dad and I went to Little Mexico for his birthday. I even told the waiter that it was his birthday and he got sung to and fried ice cream. Not sure he was so pleased with me, but when my friends did it to me on my birthday it made it more fun and something to remember! Plus I hadn't had a chance to make him a cake or anything.
Monday December 16 I woke up early and went back to the hospital from 8-noon. It was kind of fun to get back to work and see everyone! I was so happy that my boss allowed me to come in for only a 4 hour shift instead of a full 8 hour shift. After work I came back to my mom's house and took a much needed nap! I baked gingerbread men cookies for my mom to bring to her classroom and after school got out Josue came over. Although while I was waiting for him I got a text saying he was stuck. My mom saw me getting my coat on and came with me equipped with a shovel and cardboard. He was pretty stuck and lucky as we were attempting, but failing to help him, a man with a big truck drove by and tied a rope from Josue's car to his and got him out! Yay! We were very thankful for him!
Tuesday December 17 I worked from noon-4 then spent the night at my dad's. The sky was cloudy, but there was an opening with blue sky and light right above my mom's house as I left to head over to my dad's. We tried to make candy mints and were upset when they didn't workout as planned and my dad and I also worked my Christmas present for Michael.
Wednesday December 18 I went to work from 8-noon then took a short nap and met Hilary at the park and rec center to workout! It was fun getting to hang out with her and felt good working out. She knew a lot of stuff, so I just followed her lead. Then when I got home I played some soccer with Maggie! I love her excitement when we play and couldn't resist taking lots of pictures as we played with the blue sky against the white snow!
Thursday December 19 Josue had a different schedule for finals and was able to go to Hose later in the day before going to school. Maria and I also went. It was so much fun seeing how excited the kids were to see Josue! They swarmed him as he walked in and all had something to tell and show him. When we went outside to recess there was only a portion of the mulch that was shoveled off and if they didn't have boots on then they had to stay on the black top. I was laughing and smiling as Josue and I walked out on the cleared path and one of the girls in their class yelled look! Josue and Maddy getting married walking down the aisle! Then we went back inside and helped them decorate the gingerbread cookies that they ate as Maria read their responses out loud from the letters they wrote to Santa.
That evening Josue came over and hung out with Maria and I. We helped make more cookies for my mom to bring to school for the kids and talked a lot. It was so much fun having Maria home and getting to hang out with her and Josue at the same time. We all laughed a lot that evening!
Friday December 20 I was still sore from Hilary and I's workout on Wednesday, but met her again at the park and rec to work out! I was really glad I went again. Then that evening Maria and I went to the basketball game at CHS against North. Maria sat with me with Hilary, Hannah, and Hollie. Morgan, Kayla, and Clayton also dropped by and talked to us during the game. Maria and I also got to see brother Trent who we waved at and said hello as he walked by. I had so much fun overall! Crawfordsville won and it was so good to see everyone and get to hang out and catch up with them. I have some of the greatest friends, including my sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment