December 16, 2011

December 3-12.

I will add pictures tomorrow. And it will be much better.

Like always. I'm behind. So here's a brief catching-up of recent events that are worthy for the blog.

Saturday December 3rd I went to gymnastics practice for a little while. It was optional and we had it because the floor was set up for a cheerleading competition. I was the only one who showed up. After we waited for the long-drawn out award, Marka and I practiced on the floor.

Then I left practice, and headed to Megan's house. Towards the end of the week, Hannah and I convinced ourselves that we should go to the Christmas dance. So we all met at Megan's. But I ended up going to Hannah's sister's house where she has a hair salon. While she worked on their other sister's hair, Hannah did mine for me. It was already curled, but she worked wonders with the bobby pins and it looked lovely. Then Arica did Hannah's hair, and we drove to Megan's together. Hannah and I reminisced to the last time we went to this dance, our freshmen year. We all still laugh about that night at Alex's house: where Shane caught the bread basket on fire at dinner, my date had a red shirt and my dress was pink, and Hannah spilt candle wax down her dress before we left the house. At Megan's house things were much different. We threw on our dresses, snapped a few photos, and piled into the mini-van and drove to the high school. The dance had a better turn out that I expected. It was a lot of fun with more people. I did love the music and attempting to dance. I love the energy and the movement of any dance floor. But my favorite part was just dressing up and hanging out with my friends.




Monday December 5th was our NAHS Christmas party. It was such a cute idea. We met at the art gallery downtown where my teacher is one of the 20-some artists, and one of the ones who has gallery space there. I got there in time for a tour of the gallery and the different artists' studios. I love the variety of media and styles used. I felt so alive and in the right place as we walked around. I was sad and disappointed that I couldn't stay any longer because I had to go to gymnastics practice. Everyone was instructed to bring art supplies for a holiday craft or something to eat. I left supplies and instructions for these snowmen. I made one the night before and loved it.


After school on Tuesday the 6th I met Emma at Walmart, and Hannah later joined us, to shop for our REINdeer child from our stats class. He was a two year old, liked trucks and trains, orange was his favorite color, and he needed clothes. Emma and I loved shopping in the little kids section. We got two pairs of pants, 4 shirts, a train toy, and a little car toy? I believe. It was so cute and so much fun.

Friday Dec 9th I turned in my health careers final paper. I tried to work on it throughout the week, and did. But I also did a lot of it Thursday night. It was a 3 1/2 page single space paper. I did mine over narcolepsy, and I learned that even though I am a great napper, this is not what the disease is-and I obviously do not have it. After I finished it, I felt very accomplished.


I usually get the mail, but Friday Dan was home before me and got it. Before heading to my dad's for the night, Dan brought in a package for me. It was my Friendship Bracelet Club sweatshirt!!! I was so excited and put it on right away. And wore it as much as possible. I loved it. The color. The no hood style. The saying. Who sent it. And what it is a part of.

Friday I made spur of the moment plans and went to Clancy's house to hang out. She was in most definite need of a girls night, and I was hoping for something to do. We laid on her parents bed and finished watching Gossip Girl so she was all caught up. It is so much better to watch the show with friends. Then she introduced me to Pinterest. She loves it. I love it. She invited me and I set up an account. It is so much fun and so creative and inspiring and an easy way to get lost in time.

Saturday December 10 I fought the sleeping-in desire and quickly got ready. Then I drove with my dad to Indy to The Lord's Pantry. It was good to see so many eager volunteers! I loved when the lady I held bags for had little girls that talked to me through the entire line. They were so sweet and had cute hats on. Before leaving, my dad and I ate soup from the kitchen. A lady that comes every Saturday pulls food from the tables and cooks while we are setting things up. It always smells delicious and I was happy to eat. This day she made a soup. My bowl had a chicken leg in it, a potato, lots of broth, and she squeezed lime juice in it. She also salted and rolled up a tortilla for me to eat with it. During this lunch I made friends with her daughter Jennifer. She was six and very sweet.

Saturday night and Sunday I worked. Sunday was so much fun. When I got to work a little before 1pm, Kecia was just about to pull out and I got in her car with her. Perfect timing. We drove to the Whites' house, the president of Wabash. Soon the truck came and eventually everyone was there. Kecia, me, Quinn, Alicia, Candy, Dee, and Marianne. Later the cooks came and so did Mary Jo. We unloaded everything from the truck. Everything that you would need to cater and event for 200 people. We kept our stuff in the kitchen and garage and set up two tables of food in the house. Alicia and I worked on one table, Quinn and Candy on the other, and Marianne was at the bar. I also was introduced to Mr. and Mrs. White. Mrs. White recognized me from church, and I honestly just felt so special. Soon it was time-and people started arriving. Alicia and I stood near the door and took people's coats after Mr. White greeted them. Then they would say hello to Mrs. White and wander off to find other people to talk to and things to eat. Mrs. White was the perfect host. They both knew everyone and exactly what to say to them. She often commented on how festive or how nicely people were dressed. Even though it wasn't directed towards me, listening to it made me feel good. I loved when people I knew came in-and acknowledged me. I saw Doc Hudson, Sarah Warner's dad, Morgan Rater's dad, The Roberts, The Douglases, and Berry Morton. Alicia and I took the coats to the porch and hung them on the racks. Once when I went back there, I came to the sight of many of the coats sprawled upon the ground. We had heard a snap earlier, and it ended up belonging to one of our coat racks. It was really overwhelming, but just so funny. We took the coats from the broken rack and put them in piles on the couches and chairs. As people left, we were in charge of helping them find their coats. This was a little difficult, especially if they had a black coat. I suggest if buying a coat, or attending a formal event, to not get a black one because while yes it may go with everything, everyone else thinks so too and it may be hard to find. But eventually we got everyone's coats back to them and they almost all left on time. Then we cleared everything out of the house and loaded it onto the truck. Then, we all drove back to Wabash and unloaded everything. Finally, I headed home around seven pm. Oh also! Their house was absolutely gorgeous. I loved it. It reminded me of the Lane Place, or any other fancy house. It was very clean and well decorated. I even got to go upstairs! Gorgeous. Also the food was really good. I mostly liked the desserts. Yummm! And I loved the formal social (and high class) gathering. It reminded me of Gossip Girl.

I worked on my portfolio when I got home for a little while, but ended up falling asleep. Of course. I fell asleep at about 10pm, and my wake-up alarm failed. I finally woke up around 1am and got off the couch to work more on my portfolio. I worked on it until about 2:30 then slept until 6ish-when I woke up to finish it. It was awful. Kind of. --A portfolio is part of our English final every semester since freshmen year. We take all of our pieces of writing from the semester, usually totalling around 30. Then we sticky note each one-commenting on the pros and cons of it focusing on style, diction, voice, structure, whatever. Then we divide the pile in half. The half that's "out" we leave alone. The half that's "in" we do a second round of sticky notes. Then we divide the pile in half again and repeat until the pile consists of 3 papers. At this point, they are our final papers. We then revise them. Our final step is to write a letter explaining what we learned from our writing and such. It takes forever. Forever. I tried to work on it early, so I would be ahead and not leave it until the night before. I had the entire first round done before Sunday, but it was just hard with gymnastics and work and my narcolepsy paper. But I did it. What a relief. My last one. EVER.

No comments:

Post a Comment