December 29, 2011

The first half of my [much needed] Christmas break

Picutres to come. You should probably wait for them before trying to read it. Done!

December 17th was the first Saturday of break. And how did I start it off? Going to CHS at 8:00am. We had plans to set up the floor (the spring floor for gymnastics which consists of 2 layers of boards totaling 100 boards, strips of foam, and carpet type rolls). When we arrived there, we were informed that basketball was going to practice at 10 am in the aux gym, and we couldn’t start setting up until 12:00pm. Ally, Sami, Marka, Kim, and I were the only ones there. We sat and talked for a while in the hallway. Then Marka and Kim left. Ally, Sami, and I checked out the wrestling meet-but they were still just warming up. Before deciding to go back home for another round of sleep, Ally, Sami, and I came up with an idea to do secret santas! We were so excited!

I hardly woke up in time, but made it back to the high school by noon to set up the floor and all of the other equipment. North’s team also came to help because they were going to use our equipment over break too. Usually we have to put up and take down everything every practice. But during winter break there is a stretch of ten days where we get to leave it all out, and put up the spring floor. It is so so nice to be able to keep things out. I wish we could all year. The basketball teams have the main gym. And the decks. They could even go to the Andy Robinson gym or Tuttle or something. But we literally only have one spot that we can practice in. Because our bars connect to the floor in that gym only.

I went back to my dad’s and decided to paint my nails similarly to a picture I saw on Pinterest. I used a tooth pick and a steady hand and painted white polka dots as snow flakes and then snowmen on my thumb nails. I
love them. And was surprised at what I was capable of!



Saturday night my dad, Michael, Maria, Emma (Maria’s friend), and I headed to Indy for dinner. Little did we know how crowded and crazy it would be. My dad called Buca di Bepo on the way there to try to make a reservation. But the earliest they could get us in was 9:30! We got up there around 7:30ish, but by the time we found a place to park it was 8:00pm. I loved when we drove by the corner with someone playing Christmas songs on his saxophone. We went to Circle Center and just as Maria was finding an armful of clothes to try on at Delia’s, my dad called us and said they have a table for us.


We all shared garlic bread and cheese pizza. I love Italian food, but I can’t say that Buca di Bepo compared much to my Grandma’s cooking or Mama Leone’s in Florida. I did love all of the pictures that covered the walls, especially the black and white ones.  Oh! And when Maria and Emma went to the bathroom during dinner they secretly found our waitress and told her we were celebrating my dad’s birthday! So before we got the bill all of the wait-staff came singing. Kudos Maria.




Sunday December 18th I went REINdeer shopping with our youth group at Wal-mart. I was with Leslie Warren and Emma Servies. Emma and I both had girls under 3. We got cute outfits and winter coats then went to the toy section. I was so happy when I found the package of two baby dolls and a stroller. I loved playing with dolls when I was younger and hoped this little girl would as well! When we checked out we all had to be together so Leslie could pay for the presents for the 6 kids all together. Our cashier was named Alisha and couldn’t have been more helpful or sweeter. She was very interested in the project we were doing and said it was just so great to see people still doing this. She also said that she loves living in a small town like Crawfordsville where people come together to help others out. She even numbered each bag for us so we could keep each kids stuff separate. Alisha looked about my age. But I believe she had a wedding ring on, so I’m not sure. But we were all touched by her sincerity.

We made it back just in time for 5:00 mass. While everyone headed into the church, I jumped in my car and picked up Josue really fast. I loved that he came with me to mass! I liked sitting beside him, and trying to help him understand and follow along. Father talked about Tim Tebow in his homily and I was glad because I figured Josue could relate to that connection. I love the connections that Father Dennis uses during his homily. It just makes me grasp the ideas better.

Monday the 19th was a fairly slow day. I went to gymnastics practice. And afterwards I picked up Josue and we hung out at Colby’s house. Hilary, Nathaniel, JD, Amit, Taylor, and Tyler were also there. We watched Horrible Bosses which flashed me back to OLAB.

Tuesday December 20th, Maria and I met her friend Emily at the animal shelter. First we washed two dogs. I felt so bad for them because they clearly did not like it. Especially the second one, who was shaking.


Then, we decided it wasn’t too cold out and we could walk them. The three of us picked out to Labrador shepherd mixes that were in a cage together. They were so cute and so playful! Before leaving, Maria and I spotted the cutest boxer puppy. It was only like 12 weeks old. We couldn’t leave without holding it. My heart breaks for all of the dogs and puppies that are caged up there. Adoption is definitely going to be in my adult future. It’s so hard for me to even imagine that there are orphanages with kids that need to be adopted and loved. I just want everyone to be saved and feel loved. Including all the animals!



After gymnastics it was finallllly time to frost the Christmas cookies! We do this every year at my Grandma Demeter’s house. It was so hard to know that we were doing them at our house this year because she passed away and wasn’t at her house baking them this year. My dad used her sugar cookie recipe and frosting recipe. But the frosting just wasn’t quite the same. She made the very best. My Aunt Helen, Maria, and I would always sneak tastes of it as we frosted.

Josue joined us for frosting! He had some difficulty at first, but we helped him. It turns out he wasn’t a stingy froster, he was just struggling. There are two kinds of frosters. Those who stretch the frosting as much as they can, and those who pile it on. Thankfully, our family has Maria, Aunt Helen, and I who know how to frost. Everyone wants to eat our frosting filled cookies! We had lots of colors of frosting and lots of different cookie shapes and also sprinkles. My dad was a very neat freak about it. Like I mean paper covering the table. And paper-lined pizza boxes to frost and sprinkle inside of. And as if that wasn’t enough a sheet on the floor under the table. Wowzers. My Grandma used to just put newspaper down.. But I guess. Things are different now. Including the tradition of frosting sugar cookies. Kind of.




Wednesday the 21st Maria and I brought cookies to Homestead, a cute store downtown where she works. We also finished up our Christmas shopping. We went to my mom’s for a bit where we wrapped presents. I also wrote and sent a Christmas card! To Sarah Wright! I was so excited to have someone to send one to, I never have before.

 

Thursday December 22nd was an early morning. I woke up, showered, and headed to babysit my first time for Jensen. My friend Alex worked for them on their organic farm this summer. When I was without a job all summer she recommended me as a babysitter. Things were just hectic, and Emily never needed me. But she got in touch with me a little while ago and I went to their house as an “interview.” Their whole family is just so precious, but especially Jensen. He is two years old. But you would probably never guess it. He really is so aware of what’s going on and knows a lot. His colors and letters and where Indiana is on the map. Not to mention Texas, Mexico, and Brazil! He also knows a lot about his toys that we played with all morning. Most of them are trucks and cars and tractors. He reminds me a little of my cousins Seth and Brody who are also fond of similar toys. His parents are doing such a good job with him. They clearly spend a lot of time with him and do not baby him. He also does not watch tv. I definitely feel like kids learn and grow so much more from playing and making up games than they do from watching tv.

Before we left for gymnastics practice, guess who arrived at our house! Aunt Elaine! She lives in Tennessee and stayed the night before heading to Iowa. I just love my dad’s big family and was happy that I atleast got to see one aunt during my break.
I finally had floor music worked out. My music is from the song Just a Dream by Nelly. Samantha Williams had been coming to practice with Lisa who is coaching Turkey Run’s lone gymnast. Lisa also has a gym that some girls from my team go to. But she doesn’t have a vault or a floor that’s the size of the one we compete on. So they came while we had equipment up. Anyways. Sam graduated from Southmont in 2009 and does gymnastics in college. She worked with my basically the entire practice and came up with a floor routine for me. But I kind of wish she could just do it. She’s so good at all the dancing part and makes everything just look so pretty. Hopefully I can get it down as good as she has it. I was really intimidated, but she was so sweet and didn’t even laugh at me or get frustrated when I just didn’t get it.

After practice we made lots of things. We frosted gingerbread men and other cookies. Even Michael and Lexie showed up and joined in. I don’t think I’ve really ever decorated gingerbread men before but it was so fun making them look like people, or other characters. Michael and Lexie came from my mom’s house and brought my mail. A big packet from Depauw and one from Xavier. My acceptance letters! Yay! It is just going to be so hard to choose where to go. My heart may be set in St. Louis University. But Xavier is second.

Friday December 23 was not only my cousin Seth’s birthday, but also my Grandpa’s! I called him to wish him a happy birthday, though he wasn’t able to talk long because he had to finish vacuuming. I did call them a few days before and talked to them for a while. I felt bad I hadn’t been keeping in very good touch with them. I just love them so much and miss them when they spend the winter in Florida.

We had morning practice and did our secret santa gift exchanges! I gave Ally her’s, and she was excited especially about the socks. Marka drew my name and I got a blanket, cute socks, life saver gummies, lotion, and headbands! So cute. I just really do love the gymnastics team.

Aunt Elaine left in the afternoon and afterwards Maria and I left my dad’s too. We thought we were there until Christmas day, but I guess not. We came to my mom’s. I picked up Josue a little later. Not long after he got there, we went to Wal-Mart and bought Elf. Then, we came home and watched it with my family. It’s just such a great movie. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment