January 19, 2012

I'm in my happy place

Quite a bit has been happening since I last blogged.

School started up again. This semester I'm in health careers (still love it), english (still dislike it), a student assistant for Mrs. Harms, sociology, econ, and yearbook. I love being a student assistant for one of my very favorite teachers during her prep period. I also love sociology.

Friday January 6 was the first games of the Sugar Creek Classic. After taking a nap after school, I went to Clancy's house to get ready. The theme was retro. Later Brittany, Tayler, Laci, and Mitchel joined us. Crawfordsville beat North! In overtime. It was very exciting.




Saturday January 7 Sarah and I drove to Lafayette. Well I drove. We used my dad's directions for the way there and didn't get lost! Even when twice we had to guess because the directions were unclear. And I got us home all by myself! I felt very accomplished.




We went to Plato's Closet and got quite a bit of money for Maria and I's clothes that we got rid of during Christmas break. We also went to the mall and ate at Panera Bread. I ended up buying two v-necks from lady footlocker and 4 movies from FIY (?) movies place for only $20. One even has Rob Lowe in it.


January 8 was a sad anniversary. In 2008 on that date, my Grandpa Demeter passed away. I remember bits and parts of that day and the week leading up to it as well as after it. It was all so sad and so hard. We all still miss him and love him a lot. He cared about his family so much. He also was a deacon and baptized me, as well as the majority of my cousins. I'm so proud to be able to say that he was pretty much the foundation of my Catholic faith, or the initiater of it. He also really loved ice cream. We always ate dilly bars with him. I was so sad that I didn't eat one, or any ice cream this year on January 8th. I like to in his honor. I did however listen to the playlist of songs that I connect to his death. Thankfully, my mom found me in my room and comforted me. As much as I need other people and their love when I'm upset, I have trouble going and getting it myself.

Monday January 9 Maria went to the animal shelter to walk dogs. I drove her so my mom didn't have to. On the way we picked up Josue and he ended up walking dogs with us. Maria walked one and Josue and I walked one crazy pup together. It was fun when the dog was trying to jump and nip my face. When it starts to get warm in the spring, or when we have another random warm day like that, I want to walk on the trail with Maggie and Josue.




Wednesday January 11 would have been my Grandma Demeter's birthday. It was again a sad anniversary. When I stood with my dad in line with the rest of my aunts and uncles at the vigil service for her, when my dad introduced me to someone they said "oh yes, Madeline. I've heard about you. Your Grandma used to tell me when you were younger you would call her and just say hi! It's me!" I miss her and was sad to not be able to call her on the phone and wish her a happy birthday. But I'm happy that she got to celebrate her birthday with my Grandpa.

Friday January 13 was not unlucky. In fact, it was lovely. We had a two-hour delay!!!! Even better, for me this meant a three hour delay and no hard test to take over the nervous system. This is because my health careers class would go from 9:45-11:13. This wouldn't work because my teacher has to be at work (she is an RN) at 10. So we don't have class on 2 hour delay days. Instead, I was ready to wake up and happy in the later morning. I even got to play with Maggie before school. She had fun ripping up my Christmas loofa.


Saturday we had our first gymnastics meet! It was an invitational at Valpo. It's pretty intimidating there, but nice for our first meet. It was a long drive. 2 or 3 hours. It's so far away there's even a time change. A good thing was that it was close to Dan's parents' so they got to come and watch us! But I curled up and slept the whole way there. The meet went pretty well. I think I got a 5.975 on floor, a 6.4 on vault, and a 4.6 on bars? Something close to that. Maria did really well too I thought. She got a 5.4 or something on beam. Her first time competing ever. It's embarrassing, but my first meet on beam I didn't even get 2. Although, I did compete all around. But yay Maria! Our team came in 6 out of 8 teams. Sami was the only one of us who placed on anything individually.

On our way home we stopped to eat at Olive Garden. It was really yummy. We were all so hungry after spending all day at the meet. The long wait to get a table for all of us was definitely worth it. There were once of laughs once we were happy with food in our stomachs. By the time we got back to Cville it was like 8 or 9pm. And we left the school that morning at 7:15! What a longg day.

Sunday the 15 we went to church in the morning with my dad. Maria, my dad, and I even brought the gifts up to the altar. Father Ziggy was the visiting priest and I just adore him and his energy. We went to the morning mass because I had to work at night. I was a little nervous because it'd been over a month, but it was good getting back to work. I do love the people I work with and all that my job entails. Also-I'm so official now I not only have a bow tie and name tag, but I have the ugly black, comfy sneakers, and a clock in number!

But between church and work, I hung out with Sarah! She spent Saturday night at my house. But we were both worn out. In fact, we fell asleep with my lap top on the bed playing a movie. And in the middle of the night Sarah woke up and moved it to the floor. When we woke up on Sunday she told me that when she did I woke up and said "that was weird." When she asked what was, I replied "I was dreaming we were baking cupcakes and I was like Maria what the heck are you doing?" I didn't really remember this and she concluded she is going to conduct a sleep study on me. Oh dear.

Anyways. After church, she came back over. We played just dance. Then went to Goodwill. We bought silverware and she bought some VHS tapes. Then we came to my dad's for his help. First we measured and cut the silverware.


Then my dad held each one in the blow torch flame. When it turned orange, he used the pliers clamped on each end and bent it to a circular shape. Once they cooled off, we tried them on for size and he adjusted him.



We are so so proud and in love with our homemade silverware rings!!



Monday January 16 was our second gymnastics meet. It was at Southmont against south, north, us, and turkey run's one girl. It didn't seem to go so well for most of the girls there. My floor score improved to maybe 6.1? and my bars to maybe 4.9? I don't know scores are hard to keep straight in my head. However, my vault decreased. South came in first, but we came in second! We beat north. It's always nice beating teams. But it was a long night again. We left the school at 4:30 and didn't get back til 10pm!

Then Gossip Girl was on. And Michael and Lexie joined in watching it. It's hard for me to watch it with people while they talk. But we got through it. I was so excited that the show was back on after the break it took, but it was a little bit of a let down. Maybe one of the worst episodes I've seen. Oh well. I still love it!

Wednesday January 18 was our first day of clinicals!!! At the hospital. We are on our own (though occasionally doubled up) and go to different parts of the hospital and Athens to shadow the people that work in those departments. We even wear scrubs and our name badges! Though I wish I could write all about it and my experiences, I can't due to HIPAA. But I did love it. Admitting was much more involved and interesting than I ever anticipated it to be.


Also. I have submitted two scholarships. And have 3 more in progress. Even though they're kind of annoying to fill out, I feel so accomplished getting them done! Especially not waiting until the last minute. In fact, the two I finished and submitted are due in February! Yay! It feels good to be on top of things for once rather than rushing at the last minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment