October 27, 2011

I love you Grandma

This is an essay I wrote and used for a few college applications. It is just a summary, a snap-shot. I started the first half of the detailed version. But now I fear I've waited too long to finish it and the second half will be missing a lot. I hope it isn't that way. But until then...

Friday September 30, 2011 was going to be my big day. It was one of those birthdays that have specified cards with the sparkly numbers “1 8” already printed on them. It was the day I turned eighteen and would become a legal adult, able to technically make my own decisions and able to buy white out all by myself.
But when I woke up that morning, I felt anxious and was full of uncertainty. I had a text message from my dad wishing me a, “happy 18th birthday” and informing me that “Grandma is still here with us.”
My Grandma Demeter had gone to her local hospital in Iowa on September 27 for some testing. But overnight, she was transferred to a much bigger hospital in Iowa City by ambulance. I was miles away from my family, who was by her side in the ICU area, and I felt very disconnected.
At school when my friends eagerly wished me a happy birthday and sang to me, I tried my best to smile and look grateful. But, I know I struggled to do so successfully. The school day seemed longer than normal. I was thankful for the classes that we stayed busy in, because they kept my mind from wondering how things were going with my Grandma.
After the final bell of the day rang, I went down to the musty-smelling locker room to get ready for soccer practice. I set down the beautiful bouquet of flowers my mom sent to the school as a birthday surprise and checked my cell phone. The red light on the top right corner was flashing signifying that I had a voicemail. It was my dad asking to give him a call.
I reluctantly dialed his number and waited for him to pick up. His voice was trembling as he got right to the point, “Grandma passed away. She is with Grandpa now.” My hands started to tingle as my face turned hot and steamy tears streamed down it. I said a weak goodbye and hung up the phone. Then, I turned to my best friend who held me and let me cry. Somehow I was able to muster out just enough words to tell her what happened. She walked with me to my car and stood beside me until my younger sister came.
The next Tuesday, October 2, was her viewing. My aunts, uncles, and dad stood in a line meant for people that wanted to greet the family. Even though it was for them, I stood in it too. I stood right beside my dad and listened as people offered their condolences and said what a great woman my Grandma was. But a few times, people even said something to me. Often it was something along the lines of, “Wow. I can sure tell you’re a Demeter.” Never has there been a time when I have been more proud of my joyful brown eyes and brown curly hair.
Now September 30 is not just a day to celebrate my birthday, but a birthday I share of my Grandma Demeter’s day that she was given new life and born into Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment