December 6, 2013

learning who I am, visits with the fam, and turning twenty

Throughout the rest of September I had 3 more appointments with my career counselor Chandra. She gave me the results of my personality test and interest test. I love that stuff, examining my own results and learning about stuff like it in psychology. Chandra and I discussed them, meaning basically that she showed me each page and I self-reflected on it. I was disappointed because I thought she would do more, suggesting careers for me and not me doing all of the work.

As far as personality this was done using the Myer Briggs Type test. I fell more to the introversion side then extroversion, but moderately. As far as feeling versus thinking I was 100% to the feeling side. The next to I was almost completely a balance in the middle- falling a barely more on the sensing side than intuition and more to the perceiving side than judging. I thought that it said a lot that 3 of the 4 I was somewhat in the middle, then I was all the way to the feeling side. I do think this is representative of myself because the people and relationships in my life are the core and center of my life. Even people that I am not that close, I still feel concerned for and want to understand them and help them if possible. I circled that careers that many other ISFP type people are involved with and added a few others I had been interested in before: some form of artist (painter, potter, photographer), some form of writing/writer, some type of therapist or counselor, a teacher (specifically art), a beautician/hair dresser, something in advertising. After looking at this list I came up with another list of similarities. My career would best suite me if it directly (or indirectly) allows me to help and benefit others, something where I can be somewhat independent yet still work with other people (maybe on a more individual or personal level), a creative outlet, balance of maintaining flexibility within a schedule/organized structure, variety in the work, a positive and optimistic work atmosphere, allows me to be sympathetic and caring, and lastly something where I can see the results in my work.

In the Strong Interest Inventory I scored highest in the social (empathetic helpers) category followed by artistic, then investigative (scientific problem solvers). The other three were ordered as follows: conventional, realistic, and enterprising. This also came with a list of themes that might be interesting to me. I circled similar topics to last time including counseling, education, advertising, art education, creative writing, design, fine arts, journalism, photography, psychology, and sociology. I also had a high interest in athletics. She asked about this because it seemed random but when I told her I was always involved in multiple sports teams until college she said it made perfect sense now that it would be ranked so high. The results also gave style preferences indicating that I likely prefer working with people, seem to prefer to learn by doing, are probably comfortable both leading by example and taking charge, may dislike taking risks, and enjoy participating in teams. I thought this all echoed the previous results and my reflections on them.

Friday September 13 my dad picked me up and we headed to Crawfordsville! Yay!
That evening after getting home to an unexpected beautiful bouquet of roses and 2 year anniversary gift in my room, I went to visit my grandparents then went to the ending of the homecoming football game where I saw Maria, Mary Greer, Michael, and surprised Josue as he came off the field!
Saturday September 14 I hung out with Josue and the family including visiting the new house and my newly painted blue bedroom!! Then we all enjoyed dinner with my grandparents.
Sunday September 15 I went to church with my family, said good bye to everyone, and hung out with Josue until it was time to go to Champaign where my mom and Dan dropped me off at the bus station. I was happy to watch The OC on the bus. Then once I got to Saint Louis I took a cab. The driver could tell I was a little uncertain and told me especially when I am in a big city I should act like I do anyways because people can sense that and take advantage of it. He asked me what I was going to school for and when I said I'm a physical therapy major he reminded me that I seem a little skiddish/shy and would have to talk to people and touch them. I told him I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do and he wished me the best of luck and told me I can do anything I put my mind to.
September 20 I went chasing the beautiful sunset in the Saint Louis sky. (and by chase I mean from my balcony, left my building and tried to walk around outside but couldn't get a good vantage point, so ran back into my building to my balcony trying to miss no time and none of the deepening colors). It was so captivating.
 

Saturday September 21 Maggie and I made a trip to the mall where I purchased a fall coat and a shirt and tie to give Josue for his birthday, as well as wrapping paper to wrap it. I was so excited to give it to him! Then, we spent the afternoon studying in Starbucks.
Sunday September 22 I played on an intramural soccer team! We lost but it was good to get back on the field and play! The team wasn't the most skilled I have played with, but everyone was really nice and stayed positive even with our defeat.

That week led into the first week of exams, physiology Monday September 23, theology September 24, psychology the 25, and philosophy the following Monday. It is always stressful having exams all back to back, but they ended up going pretty well!

Friday September 27 I joined Sarah, Torie, Katherine, and Lucia and went to the Taste of Saint Louis. They all were on my floor last year and it was fun to hang out with them again and get to walk around downtown!
Saturday September 28 my mom, Dan, and Josue came!!! When they got here they picked me up and we went to the Galleria to shop first then a quick trip to Bed, Bath, and Beyond.
[and yes I made Josue take these pictures in the same spot that we take them exactly a year before when we went to the mall when they came for my birthday weekend]
We went back to my apartment so they could see it, then to hotel to rest and change then went to the Old Spaghetti Factory on Laclede's Landing for dinner. The area is full of brick roads and horse drawn carriage rides.
After dinner we came back to SLU to watch the end of the homecoming soccer game and grab a bag for my to stay the night at the hotel with them. We watched tv, Josue and I exchanged birthday presents, and then hung out until we all fell asleep. I woke up early in the morning, about 4am, with bad stomach pains. I was so happy to be at the hotel with my mom and not in my dorm alone. She told me we were going to go to the ER after she gave me the pain medicine I was given for my kidney stones and still wasn't feeling better. I think that threat is what finally got me to fell asleep! She let me sleep in, as well as Josue.
We took the rest of the day easy. We went to Target to buy groceries for my apartment then went to the Flying Cow for froyo and walked to the dog park near campus. I was sad as always when they left, but so so thankful to get to spend the weekend with them!!
Monday September 30 was my 20th birthday! Alex asked me what I was doing and when I said nothing she said I could pick where to go for dinner! I was really excited. I am so thankful for Alex and glad that I made plans rather than sitting in my apartment and dwelling on the sad truth that it was the two year anniversary of my Grandma Demeter's passing away. It is hard to accept still, but I am starting to come to terms with it.

Alex, Brooke, Maggie, and I went to dinner at Texas Roadhouse where they told the waitress it was my birthday and made me sit on the saddle, side saddling it of course since I was in a dress, and they all sang to me. Ohhh my. Then we went to Ted Drewes for ice cream afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment