December 14, 2013

Thankful for all of the love in my life. It is abundant in my family and friends.

Friday November 22 I had an interview for my psych class. I really liked my psych teacher. She was a grad student from Alabama and always really enthusiastic about what she taught us. During one assignment we had to discuss our individual differences and how they might play out in the workforce. Due to multiple responses, including my own, that mentioned something about being uncomfortable with the interview process and getting a job in the first place, she devoted some class times to interviews and worked with upper IO psych students who would interview us. I was nervous until I got there and realized that I was more prepared and confident than the girl interviewing me. I think my confidence came from feeling professional in my outfit, but also from the power poses that we learned about in class via a Ted Talk. Rather than sitting hunched over and looking down at your phone or your shoes before entering an interview we learned the impact and boost that a power pose can bring. This can be standing up straight and with your head up or even hands on your lips and legs spread hip length apart like wonder woman. 
That afternoon I took the bus to Champaign and was picked up there by my mom and Josue (this time it wasn’t a surprise that he joined). When I got home Maria hugged me and didn’t let go. It was so cute and good to see her! We couldn’t believe we hadn’t seen each other since homecoming in September.
Saturday November 23 I braced the cold weather and played soccer with Maggie. She was just so excited! Then I spent the afternoon at my dad’s house hanging out (and napping while he mowed his yard as snowflakes fluttered in the air). Then that evening I went back to my mom's house. 
Sunday November 24 we went to church in the morning then hung out at the house during the day. Of course we ended that evening with watching a Christmas Hallmark movie. 
Monday Maria and I had fun hanging out while everyone else was at school. After school Josue came over for a while. 
Tuesday November 26 I went to Hose to help Tracy! She had to paint a snowplow with the kids so I helped her during the morning. My job was to get the 2 kids selected from each class to paint, then get paintshirts and gloves on them, and walk them outside to the tent where the magic was happening! It looked so good and was so fun hearing the kids tell me about their excitement as we walked there.
Then I went home to pick up Maria and we headed to Lafayette to get our hair done with our favorite, best hair dresser Robyn! We love her and were so excited to see her. Not only is she the best at cutting and styling, and in Maria’s case highlighting, but she is just an awesome role model and we always have fun updating her about what’s been happening in our lives since our last appointment and listening to stories she has to tell us.
We left Robyn’s and headed to Purdue to meet Kenzie Cooper. We were kind of on a time crunch so instead of going to lunch, we ended up setting for froyo at Orange Leaf. Kenzie was super sweet and we had fun meeting her! Then I dropped Maria off at her friend Emma’s.

That evening Josue and I went to see Catching Fire at the theater. (where he ordered a medium fries, whoops)! We both really enjoyed it and were not ready for it to end that way!

Wednesday November 27 Maria and I joined Josue and all went to Hose in the afternoon for my mom’s class’s Thanksgiving feast! They love Josue so much and he is awesome with them. I can't wait to see him in action as a teacher of his own class someday. The kids were very excited as they sat around the tablecloth made of a role of paper that they had decorated. They wore their pilgrim hats and munched on the cheese, crackers, muffins, cranraisins, and beef jerky that we passed out all representative to things that were shared and eaten at the first Thanksgiving.
When we got home Maria and I had a quick photo shoot. I was surprised she was up to let me take pictures because usually she would thumbs down it, but she is my favorite to take pictures of and her hair was looking especially good!
That evening I went to Becca's house with Hannah and Alex. We all had so much fun catching each other up on our lives and telling stories from our semesters. They are some of my very best friends and I am so thankful for them and that we manage to keep in touch and still all get to together to hang out. (although this time we were missing Steph). 

Thursday November 28 was Thanksgiving! I have so much to be thankful for, but especially this year with the support system I have in my friends and family that are encouraging me as I make big changes in my life and are following my passion. After we all got ready (including Maggie!), we packed up and hit the road to the Vanderkolk’s house. Maggie and Gracie were so excited to see each other and were constantly playing and barking and chasing each other. It was so fun to just watch them. We all finished the cooking and soon it was time to eat! Everything tasted really good.
After watching some football (and sister cuddling) and letting the food settle, we decided to go along with the rest of the crazy people in America and went shopping. I joined Jacqueline for a quick trip to Walmart, then we met up with everyone else at the outlet mall.
Friday November 29 my mom, Dan, Maria, and I made a quick trip to Target for a few things then said our goodbyes and headed home. Josue came over and we spent the evening mostly watching my mom and Dan decorate for Christmas, but we did help some.
Saturday November 30 I hung out with Josue while Maria worked on school work, then we went to my dad’s for the night. He had already eaten so Maria and I went to Little Mexico by ourselves then watched Hallmark Christmas movies on tv with my dad.

Sunday December 1 we woke up bright and early for church with my dad then spent time with him before heading back to my mom’s house. I watched the Broncos game with Josue before saying my goodbyes to everyone and heading back to Champaign where I was one of the lucky 4 to get on the bus to Saint Louis. 
When I got back to school that evening Maggie and  I watched the Grinch and hung Christmas lights!

No comments:

Post a Comment