November 9, 2011

Love love love

Driving from Health Careers to school this morning there was a moment of blue sky and sunshine. I was happy that I could embrace it and capture it for the instant it lasted.




But during the day, and when I got out of school it was old and gray and colorless.



Even though it stayed like that for the rest of the day until it turned dark, that was not the way my day went. I had a loveeeeely day!

I crawled in my bed when I got home. I turned out the light, and the little that would have came in from the window was blocked by my brown blanket. Then I covered up under my warm layers of blankets. I almost never fail to fall asleep- it kind of impresses me.

I got up and packed for the night at my dad's. I was happy to see him, because there was a mix-up Monday night and I didn't get to.

He dropped me off in my car (I needed dropped off and sometimes he thinks he should drive "his" green car since he rarely gets the chance) at Arni's. Lauren, Darcy, Megan, and Hilary were already there. We all pitched in money and bought 2 pizzas and bread sticks. They even got one of the pizzas with half cheese. Then, soon Hannah showed up. And so did Cole!! He works there and we were really hoping we'd see him. Every time he walked by, which was quite frequently, we clapped for him. Over dinner we talked about colleges and the boy of Costa Rica and our English homework.


I rode with Hannah. We followed Darcy and drove down an alley that I didn't even know existed. We parked, not sure where we were going. But luckily a door opened up from the wall of the building, a door that I also didn't know existed.


We were welcomed into My Artz Desire. Katie's mom owned part of the studio and it's where Katie's party was held. Which is why we were going there.

When we got in there, I tried to soak it all in. I loved it. Everything. All of the tools and colors and organization and artwork and creativeness.




We sat down at the tables and Elizabeth, the owner, showed us some of her canvas painting and explained to us how each one came to be. Then we all got colors of paint. I really wanted purple and teals, but they didn't match with red. And I wanted to create something that could go with the walls in my bedroom. I chose red, lime green, and yellow. We also got water and brushes, then sat back down.


Then, we each passed out a blank canvas. They started out all the same, just waiting for us to make them our own. Elizabeth led us. First we put water and color on the top of the canvas and held it up so it dripped downwards. Then, we turned it over and put paint and water on the other side, running the drips together. We added as much, or little as we wanted and started to mold them into very unique pieces.



We left them to day, some laid flat, and some tilted so they would continue to drip.


Then she gave us another demonstration for adding texture and layers. She showed us paper and stamps and water colored pencils and a book and newspaper. Then she told us to create.


I wanted to try to rip pieces out of the book and form it into a leaf, but it just wasn't working out. Then, I cut a tree out and single words about nature and happy, good-feeling adjectives.

While we were working she cut the cake and passed it out. It was vanilla cake with cherry jello in it and vanilla pudding as frosting. It was light and moist and unique and fit perfect with the rest of the night. There was also music playing in the background- mixes of music put together by Katie. I loved singing along to some of my very favorite songs like Upside Down by Jack Johnson and Drops of Jupiter by Train.


Then, I added some love birds to my painting. When I painted them blue to stand out, I saw that my tree mentioned the word bird multiple times. I did not know this, or realize it earlier. But when I noticed it, I was estatic! It was meant to be and went together so well. I was just so very excited. I highlighted them in the same blue paint to tie it altogether, but maybe I should have left it for people to realize all on their own.

The more I look at my painting, the more I see about it that I love. And also some things I wish I could change. I love that the only slanted lines on the painting are attached to one of the birds. I didn't notice that until I got home either. It seems as if it could be his flight path.

I loved walking around the room and looking at all of my friends' hearts being poured out into their projects. They all looked very different, and also like the person that did them.





We helped clean up the brushes and throw away our paper plate paint pallets and wipe off the tables. I was sad to leave, but so happy to have been there. My heart was so joyful and in it's right, true form.

I want to be able to create everyday. I love using my hands to make something physical like my painting or a ceramic piece or a collage of photographs or a greeting card.


I also love to create with words. Not only like the ones I used in my painting from the book, but also words of my very own. I couldn't think of a more perfect way to end this beautiful day, than to finally sit down and blog.

I also want to love. I want to be with people that make me happy and that help me to rise to my full potential and that influence me for the better and that are encouraging. And then, I want to show them love and gratitude and let them know what they mean to me. Maybe someday I will start and write a note, one a day, to someone I love telling them what I love about them and how they have helped me or what impact they have made on my life.

1 comment:

  1. Maddy, Katie showed this to me and I showed Elizabeth. She wanted me to tell you this made her day — week — maybe year :-). She was so touched that someone "got" what she wants her studio to be all about. She hopes you'll come back sometime — and I hope you keep writing and blogging and taking pictures. This is an awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete