August 12, 2011

As Promised

Wednesday August 10

Soccer and napping were normal and as they have been the past two weeks.

After aerobics, instead of going home to sleep I went to CHS for link crew training. Link crew is a group of senior and junior students that help with the incoming freshmen class. For our training day we were there from 8:30 to 2:30 going through the same activities we would lead with our kids and being prepared for possible situations such as shy kids, or kids that don't want to participate. Mr. Melton and Mrs. Rainwater do such a great job with it. It reminds me a little of camp actually. Very structured and full of ice breakers and team work and challenges that we meet together to help ease the freshmen into our school. It is also cool that we were the first group of kids that went through this program as freshmen and now some of us are on the other end of it and are leaders. As a freshman it wasn't as big of deal for me because I knew the two grades above me from being at Tuttle with them and the seniors because that was my brothers class.

When I was at my evening soccer practice Michael had texted me asking where I was because he was bored. I got home from practice to find him sitting at my dad's house, still bored. I had an unknown source of energy-possibly just from the fact that exercising just makes me feel good. So we went to walmart to buy an air mattress. Neither of us had really looked through the camping aisle and were amazed by all of the different things available. A portable shower, a portable toilet, freeze dried ice cream, snake bite kit, and chocolate chip pancake mix in a bag. We also went to the frozen food section to buy the things similar to dip n dots. But they didn't have the kind I like so I settled for a choco taco. I ate it once we got outside, only to find that it was stale.

Thursday August 11

After aerobics I came back to my dad's for a nap. But I cut it short and came back to my mom's where I ate Lucky Charms for breakfast before heading to Depauw. I had been meaning to go all last year so that I could stay with one of my friends that goes there, but never got around to it. So my mom and I decided to take the opportunity to go for a quick look. Luckily, we made it there. You never know when she tries to go off of her own direction instincts. But we did it. Then we didn't know where to go. We found the administration building who were kind and gave us a map and sent us in the direction of the admissions office. I read the map and successfully led us a few blocks away to the correct building. We could have waited to go on a student tour, but just didn't have the time so we got a folder of information, filled out a card, and ventured out on our own. The campus was beautiful. The brick buildings and the green grass and hanging baskets of flowers. Although after seeing Holy Cross's gorgeous library, we were both a little unimpressed at Depauw's. But the rest was really pretty. We were standing in front of a big building trying to figure out how to get to the book store when a friendly young man asked if we needed help. We told him we were looking for the bookstore and said to follow him, he was actually headed that way. On the walk there we introduced ourselves and he asked me where I was from and if I'd been down here before. I told him once for dinner with my friends and he said he had heard of Alex Gasaway before. He also told us that if I come to Depauw I won't even realize I'm so close to Cville because there's just so much going on, that he is a Depauw grad and now works there, and that he highly recommends coming back and registering for a real tour. Once we got to the hub he pointed us down towards the bookstore and we went our separate ways. My mom bought a shirt for Maria, a pair of shorts for me, and a Hershey's bar for both of us. As we were walking out guess who came our way! Steph! She had to go back early to be trained as an RA and was on her lunch break. She talked to us a little about financial aid and as always was very convincing. Then we let her get back to her lunch and promised I'd come down for a stay.




Soccer was a pleasant surprise. There was a parent meeting at the beginning of practice and coach trusted Hannah and I to run practice while they talked to our parents. We ran our 8 minutes then stretched and did our warm up drills. And at the end of practice he didn't even make us run hills!

When I got home I showered, talked to my mom and Dan, and then Josue came over and watched What Happens in Vegas with me. I love that movie and it still makes me think of the first time I watched it at Alex's house. Whenever we are all together we still like to use the "you know why!" line when appropriate and laugh about it together.

No comments:

Post a Comment