July 20, 2011

Sounds of Summer

This morning I woke up after dreaming that I got lost in a very deadly snow storm. A fellow student asked me to take him home, and while I really didn't want to I said yes. I dropped him off, but got lost in the mounds of snow in his neighborhood. Eventually I think someone picked me up, but I felt awful because I lost the family sled. Even though I was previously driving a car. But then I woke up to find just the opposite. I woke up and found myself safe in my bed in the middle of a sweltering hot day. In fact the heat index was said to be at 115.

I wrote my second OLAB thank you letter. I lean towards the quieter, shy side for the most part. But I really like writing letters. Partly because of that part of my personality. I do have a lot to say, and it is easier for me to write it and say it in a letter. And partly because I like my handwriting. And a lot because I find postal mail to have a lot more meaning than email. It is more personal and more traditional.

Then I drove to the high school. Which was weird. I like staying away from there-and being on break. But I went to drop off my sports physical and to pick up a copy of my report card for my dad. It ended up being pretty good, besides the final pre-cal exam that lowered my overall grade. I knew that I should have studied more for it, and taken it more seriously. But I really just didn't have it in me. Not after a three day weekend, then going back on a Tuesday for one more day full of exams. Plus when we had the student teacher second semester I did not learn the material as well. But enough excuses.

I went to my grandparents house to swim, but before I head down to the pool I always walk through the house and say hello to them. They invited me to sit down with them in the family room even though my grandpa had just shampooed the carpet. Then they got me started talking about OLAB. They went to the graduation, but said the speakers moved to quickly and spoke to softly for them to grasp what went on that week. I filled them in on what we did and what I learned. I enjoyed the week, and had a good time telling them about it. It's always nice to talk to someone who is interested and listening. When I said I liked the advertising aspect my grandma concluded that it comes easier to us. We know what appeals to us and what catches our eyes where we like to shop. But my grandpa made fun of her and said she just shops at Big R. But she told us that she used to be a shopper. And she bought a very fancy pair of white satin shoes from a big fancy store in New York-I didn't really catch the name of it though.

After talking with them for a while, I went to the pool and met up with the sun. I floated on the water on the silver raft. But today there was no one else. No chit chat of the ladies to listen to. Just the occasional flutter of my hands in the water.

I came back to my dad's once I said goodbye to my grandparents. I hung out at his house and did some research on colleges. From this questionnaire I took, collegeboard suggested Boston College (in Boston, Mass), Fontbonne University in St. Louis, Mo, & Lewis University in Romeoville, IL. I guess I will look more into them online. It's just so overwhelming all of the choices out there. But honestly, I feel like for the most part they are all good. And that there isn't just one place I belong. I could fit in a lot of places. I just have to figure out which ones, then narrow it down from there I guess.

I packed stuff for the night, went to my mom's, then soon drove back to the high school for soccer practice. When I first showed up, my coach came to my car to talk to me. To tell me not to worry about putting my stuff on, then to talk to me about playing as a forward. He said the other coach and him noticed when I was shooting Monday that I have a pretty good shot and get good power behind it. He also said I am fairly aggressive, but also that I'm good plus experienced at defense. I guess time will tell where he wants me to play. I think I could definitely handle the challenge of playing as a forward this year. And it would be exciting. Then enough girls ended up showing up that I got to put my shin guards and long socks and cleats on and we got to play! There were only about ten of us and we worked on a lot of basic drills. I liked the one that incorporated passing and sending the ball long and shooting. I was so proud when I heard the swish of my ball being caught in the net of the goal. Drip drip drip was the sweat all over my body, but it felt good to be out on the field kicking the ball around. We had lots of drink breaks and our coach is so sweet-he even brought an ice cooler with wet towels so we could wipe away the sweat. Much better than my grandpa's stories of his high school football coach.

Once practice ended I drove to my grandparents and jumped in the pool. It felt so good to jump and splash and be in the water, but it wasn't even that refreshing. Even when I got out on the water and stood in the summer night air, I was not chilled. I said goodbye to my grandparents who thanked me for explaining my week at OLAB earlier that afternoon, then went to my mom's for the night.

I walked in the house just in time to join the family in Jeopardy. My mom and Dan were excited to show me the new guy they found for me. On jeopardy. Ya good one. But when I started watching the show, and getting correct answers I sat down and watched the entire episode with them. Michael was convinced I'd see the show already-but nope I just know things. Always a confidence booster.

I realized all of my bedding was still in my car from OLAB and had to go outside in the dark to get it. All by myself. It wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. The heat of the day still hung in the air and the stars filled the sky. The sounds and voices of the chirping critters were easily heard. Their sweet songs took over the still silence of the night.

The rest of the evening I sat in my room in my black leggings and over sized gray sweatshirt that hung off my shoulder. Click clack click clack was the sound my fast fingers made on my laptops keys as I facebooked and texted friends while listening to pandora radio and ate some chocolate covered coffee beans. I also blogged. Well I tried. But when I posted it, the Internet claimed to not be able to find the page and I lost everything I wrote. I became really frustrated and upset-not sure who or what was at fault. So after that I basically climbed in bed. My own bed. Finally. This summer I have slept so many places besides my own bed-it's really crazy. Even though I was frustrated and gave up on blogging for the night I still smiled. I was talking to my friend from OLAB-David. Once he told me his goal was to make people happy or smile and he is really good at it. At OLAB he was always around people and no matter who it was always striking up a conversation. Really outgoing, but more than that David is genuinely friendly. And therefore great at making people smile. Including me last night even after losing everything I wrote. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment