July 3, 2011

Hawaii in Wareham. then Home in Cville.

Yesterday was Saturday July 2 and I failed to blog. So now I'm going to make up for it.

We got to sleep in a little more than we had been and take our time getting ready at the hotel. We had no where to rush to right away today. When we were all ready we went to Aunt Wendy's house.


Everyone was running around getting ready for tonight's festivities. For Uncle Kevin's 50th birthday, Aunt Wendy planned a big Hawaii 5-0 luau. People had come this morning at 5:30 and started the pig roast, decorations and a tent were set up in the backyard, and food was being prepared. I helped put together two Hawaiian themed photo frames with pictures of Uncle Kevin.



Then we headed down to the beach. Even though it was short enough to walk, we drove to save time. Then we walked through the same grass path we had the night before. My mom and I laid on one giant beach towel while trying to soak up some rays of glorious sunshine. Dan, Maria, and Aunt Wendy walked all along the beach and in the water. The water is so shallow for so far and the beach is very rocky. It is a very different style than the ones we go to in Florida. Amy and Steven were also there and MaryGrace joined once she finished work.








When we went back to the house Aunt Wendy gave us a tour of the yard. We went to the very back and saw the pig roasting, we went in and saw the chickens and collected a few fresh eggs, and we walked through the garden. I love the idea of all of this and how it is fresh and produced by themselves. It reminded me a lot of the Warner's family.




We continued to help get ready for the party then went to the hotel to get showered and changed. All of us dressed in our best Hawaiian attire as instructed. We were on crunch time and had to get ready quickly, but we managed and picked up 4 gallons on ice cream on our way back.

Before the party started, Maria MG and I picked flowers from their yard and put them in our hair then finished the fruit kabobs. We alternated putting pineapple and watermelon and cantaloupe and strawberries on them.




Soon people started showing up. Most family first, then friends. There were a lot of people there, but I didn't really know any so Maria and I stuck together and just floated around. One guy even referred to us as the outcast kids. And even though he was just trying to be funny, it was sad because of how true it was.





Finally the pig got to 170 degrees and ready to eat, much later than scheduled. Everyone was really hungry and excited for this. But not me. I didn't eat. I couldn't after seeing it. This was the start of the events and things went much better.






Kevin's brother gave a poem he wrote, one of his friends played the ukulele and sang a song he wrote to Tiny Bubbles, cousin Amy surprised her parents by celebrating their anniversary and mom read a really clever poem she crafted about them, a guy juggled fire, Kevin's siblings played all the pranks on him that he played on them over the years, and we watched a lovely slide show my aunt put together of pictures and songs of Kevin. It was all really cool and described him and his life and loved ones so well. All of the people who preformed were so funny and creative. Although. The fire juggling got a little out of hand. The large boy doing it wore a coconut bra and grass skirt to go with the theme. This was fine until he threw the stick between his leg and the skirt caught on fire. Then the tablecloth. Then the house. Okay it was only the skirt and the tablecloth but I was so scared the house and everything was going to go down. Luckily, thank goodness. it didn't.





I was really relieved when we left. And I could finally go to sleep. I wanted to so much and had such an awful headache that I did not blog so it is a day late.

Today is Sunday July 3. We had to wake up very early and finish packing then hurrying off to the airport in Providence, RI. We returned the rental car then had to walk to the other side of the airport. Basically the other side of the state. We had to walk more than the length of 4 moving walkways, and there was nothing to look at as we did so. No people or shops or food stands. It just seemed like a big waste of space to me. And even after that we had a long, boring wait.



But we finally got on our plane and made it to DC. We had to wait again for a long time in the little section of the airport in DC, but this time it was not crowded with people. My mom, Dan, and I ate at a little restaurant place which was good for passing time. We hung out in the chairs at our gate and finally got on our plane and made it to Indy.


Getting our luggage went smoothly, we found the car, and drove home. Then I mowed which was relaxing from the stress and frustration of lack of communication. I was hoping it would be fixed after I was done. It wasn't.

I went home and showered and threw my suitcase in my car. Then Maria and I came to my dad's. Soon after though I left. Hilary and Colby picked me up and we went to the park. We played a few holes of Frisbee golf. I was really bad. Like really. But Colby was good at encouraging and teaching. Then we met up with JD, saw a lot of other people we knew, and laid Hilary's blanket on the ground to watch the fireworks.



The whole time Glitter in the air by Pink and Firework by Katy Perry were going through my head. I love seeing the fireworks, even though the sky wasn't black yet. And the whole time Hilary jumped at the loud ones shot from the canon. It made me fret for my poor Maggie girl. She really is scared of fireworks. Worse than Hilary. And she is stuck at the kennel. I hate that for her. I can not wait to see her!!




After the fireworks ended, somehow Colby managed to drive out. The traffic of cars and people and dogs was crazy! But he did it. And we met JD at steak n shake. We hung out and ate and laughed and told stories than went home for the night. And I came right to my computer to my blog. Because since I didn't do it last night, I missed it. But not near as much as I miss Maggie. Also I will upload the pictures to these two days tomorrow. I've had one busy week, and I'm not sure what the one ahead will hold and I just need to get some rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment