July 1, 2011

Babbs in Massachusetts

We started our first day of July by packing up and saying good bye to our lovely stay at the Omni Parker House. I also forgot to mention on Wednesday while Dan and I were working out, three men came to our room bearing gifts of frankincense, gold, and myrrh.No actually, a guy came with bottles of milk and peanut butter cookies for us! Maria was the one to answer, but one was still waiting there when I got back. What a nice gesture.


Before leaving Boston Michael and I ate breakfast at Bruegger's Bagels again. Michael got a plain bagel with peanut butter again and I got a cinnamon sugar bagel with cream cheese. Delicious. Although, when I looked around this time I was saddened to see the presh old man sitting by him self. :( He sat facing the window, which I would do as well so I could watch the many people walking by. When one of the workers sat down at a table beside the window he waved and she waved back. It made me wonder if he was a regular and if that was included in his daily routine. He kind of reminded me of Arthur from The Holiday.

Then we got in the car, got it loaded up with our luggage, and headed to Worcester, Massachusetts. The birthplace of Michael and the town where the College of Holy Cross is located. We got to the admission office just on time to catch the 12 o clock student led tour. I don't remember the name of the senior that led it, but she reminded me a lot of Shelby Barrett. She was really friendly and so informed about everything and really involved and seemed to have taken advantage of everything the college has to offer. Which is so much. It sounded so great. There were so many opportunities academically, socially, and spiritually. We walked through campus, and a lot of sets of stairs, as we saw a dorm, the eating hall, the chapel, the library, a science hall, and maybe another one.




At the end she told us that the Jesuit belief is service and giving back, and even though it isn't forced upon anyone by anyway she can see it when she looks around even the acts of kindness of others giving back to each other like opening the door for someone, saying hi to someone you walk by, and helping others study even if it's for the same class. It kind of made me think of camp, which made me love it more. I could definitely see myself there.The buildings and campus and people were beautiful and it sounds like it offers even more than I could ever imagine.




Then we drove a few minutes to Sandy's house to say hello. She was my mom's little sister when my mom went to Holy Cross. It was a program where my mom hung out with and was like a sister to a younger kid. It was really cute to see them reunited. Sandy was just so happy as was my mom. It was funny hearing her accent and her stories and her calling my mom a blonde. It was really cool and very funny.


After the quick visit, we got back in the car and drove to Fairhaven where our hotel is. On the drive there we took turns laying our heads on each others shoulders. Michael's on mine, mine on his, and Maria's on mine. We all seem to get very sleepy in the car. When we got to our hotel we checked in, brought our bags to our room, and I uploaded the rest of the pictures to yesterdays post.

We all piled in the car again and drove to Wareham to Aunt Wendy's house for the evening. We helped prepare dinner, met Amy's boyfriend, ate dinner, played with their dog Tucker, awed at the size of their dog Hobbs, talked and caught up, watched tv, and planned for the big party tomorrow. Uncle Kevin is turning 50 and is having a big Hawaii 5-0 themed luau. (also he nicknamed me Babbs when I was little and that is why I titled the post Babbs in MA). I even tried a clam that Uncle Kevin dug up today. The way it was prepared was called a steamer and I dipped in in butter then ate it.



Before heading back to the hotel we went to the beach! We drove a little ways then walked through the grass path before walking on the soft sand. We wanted to catch the end of the firework show from the town nearby, but they shot off the finale as we were on the grass path still. At the beach it was dark, but we saw the bright gorgeous stars, lights from distant boats and houses, and a few fireworks in the sky. I love the sound of the rolling waves crashing on the shore. But it was a little chilly, and we didn't stay long before heading back to their house. Then we said goodbye and came to the hotel for the night.



No comments:

Post a Comment