June 12, 2011

Camp Tecumseh!

This morning I woke up early to go to church. I took a shower, then put on my brown skirt, white shirt, and gold sandals and got in the car with my mom. Michael also went but he sat by my dad.


Father Dennis talked about being settled in a routine and how he doesn't like it. I agree. I like to have change and new experiences. I like to be busy, not just doing the same thing all day every week. He encouraged us to be like that with our faith and to always grow and try to expand it. The only thing that should be constant is our deep love for God and our journey to our final destination in heaven.

After church I hung out a while. Then I tried to bake chocolate chip cookies to bring to Sarah Wright today. Everything that you could imagine that could go wrong did. First I didn't really have enough time to make them before we left for camp-but I was determined. We didn't have any premade toll house dough so I had to start from scratch. When I went to mix the flour and baking soda and salt I realized we didn't have enough flour. So I decided I'd make half a batch. Then Maria showed me where the rest was so I changed to making the full recipe.


I got that stuff all mixed in then went to make the rest, but it called for two sticks of butter and we only had one. I had to go back to making a half batch so I cut the flour mixture in half. I figured it'd be easier to mix the butter if I softened it in the microwave, but apparently I kept it in there for too long. When I opened the microwave there was a puddle of butter sitting on the glass turning piece. I dumped it into the bowl along with the egg and white sugar. Then I went to the pantry to find brown sugar, but we were out. There was nothing I could do. I guess the cookies just weren't meant to be made today.


The drive to camp was a familiar one, but today it seemed even longer. For the first time, I was going to Camp Tecumseh, but I wasn't staying. I have been to camp the past seven years, and this was the first time I wouldn't be spending the best week of my summer there. We were just going to drop off Maria. The lines were long everywhere. The CAC was so full of people, there was hardly enough air for us all to breathe. Maria and I decided to leave my mom and Dan to wait in line and walked over to the longhouse, where the CILTS stay. This is where Sarah Wright is a counselor. I was so excited to see her, but she wasn't there when I went over there. This was really, really sad. I didn't think I could make it through the trip without dropping a few tears. Then, I saw Alli. Alli Kenney and I have been friends from camp for many years. It may be partly because of her blog, or maybe because of her infamous smile and kind heart that I always associate her with JOY. I love her so much and was thankful I ran into her.


Maria and I walked back to the CAC. Dan was done in line and took us to the car to drive to her cabin while we left my mom in the medication line. Maria is in Omaha cabin. This is where the raccoon incident occured. Twice I woke up during two different nights to a raccoon in our cabin. I was the only one to wake up. But more importantly, and exciting, one of her counselors is KAIT EVOY!! She was my counselor a few years ago and one of my very favorites. The last night we were there she went outside to write parent letters and said if we needed anything we could go out and talk to her. Jacqueline and I didn't really need anything, but we just loved Kait and camp so much and didn't want to go to sleep. We crawled out of our bunks, which were of course on the top, and went outside and sat beside her. Then, I told her about a guy that I had been crushing on forever. She related the situation to one of her guy friends, Liam I think it was. Talking to her helped a lot and is something I will always remember.

When we pulled up to Omaha cabin today, I told Dan she was my counselor once and started to say I wonder if she will remember me, but before I could finish my sentence I heard her ask Maria if her sister was Maddy and if she was here. Then she saw me and the smile on her face grew even bigger. I guess she did remember me! She came to me with arms wide open, I put down Maria's box that I was carrying, and hugged her. It was so good to be reunited. I love Kait so very much and am excited that Maria gets to have her as a counselor. When we were in the cabin Maria got her stuff situated, and Kait pulled out a letter from her backpack that I had sent her two years ago. It even still had pictures I had sent to her of my mom's wedding. We took a picture, then I said goodbye and gave a big hug to Maria and Kait until I get to see them both again on Saturday.


My mom, Dan, and I were sad to be leaving without Maria. The car ride was very quiet. We stopped at the mall before coming back home. My mom was looking for a new pair of shoes and a dress, and Dan and I just came along. I ended up getting 3 new pairs of shorts which I am very excited about! A black pair from Macy's and two jean shorts from American Eagle because it was buy one pair get the second for $10 and Dan couldn't find any he liked. I love buying summer clothes, especially in the summer in my sunkissed skin. Everything looks better for sure!


Minutes after I got home, Becca Johnson picked me up and we went to Little Mexico for dinner. I got my usual cheese nachos and she got a cheese quesedilla.


Then she took me back home where I got dressed and went to mow. I was very frustrated because I couldn't start to mower. Luckily, my dad was with me and did it for me. I like to mow. It is relaxing and orderly and routine. It was cool enough to wear a tshirt instead of cut off which was also nice. I listened to my ipod the whole time. I am used to mowing the Newman Center, but tonight I also mowed a new lot beside it. While I was mowing lots of cars drove by, and one was driven by Ryan Teeter! Who is actually the guy that Kait and I talked about that night at camp.


After I got done mowing, I showered quickly, picked up the clothes in my room, and put a load of laundry in. Then, Sarah came over for the night. I have seen her, but haven't spent the night with her in too long. When we planned to hang out today I was so excited, more than normal. To have someone to hang out with after going to camp today, but not to stay. And to hear all her exciting stories about her new fella! She is over now and since she got here, we have laid on my bed listening to Pandora. She wrote Maria a letter while I've been blogging and we've both been texting. This is what we do. Neither of us expect more, we are happy to sit and talk for hours and hours. And I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment