June 27, 2011

falling in love with [the ocean state]

I woke up this morning earlier than I have in quite a while, but when I woke up I feared I was too late. I crept down the hall to my mom and Dan's room and pushed on the door just enough to open. In a voice that couldn't even be heard I asked if Dan had already taken Maggie to the kennel. I had to know, but was scared I was going to hear the wrong answer. Luckily I woke up in time and he hadn't taken her yet!! It wasn't that I wanted her nails to dig into my legs in the car ride, or that I wanted to see her be locked away in a cage for over a week with lots of other barking dogs in the surrounding cages. No. I hate thinking about all of that. I just wanted to be able to see her and to say goodbye for now until we come home and so does she. I just love her so much.

When we got back home, I quickly showered and packed the last things, then we drove to the Indianapolis airport. I never really realized how beautiful it is. It is just very spacious. And not too big, but not crowded either. Of course, we got to the airport way before our flight was scheduled for. While we waited, I sipped my grande vanilla latte from Starbucks and ate my blueberry muffin that I looked for in three different cafes until I finally found one. I also read aloud a chapter from Bittersweet to my mom. I love the way Shauna Niequist's words sound and the stories they tell. Although I did interrupt the chapter to allow some giggles to escape, as my mom and I listened to what we thought was a dog continuously barking, but it ended up being someone talking to their young child? Trust me. Hearing it yourself wouldn't clear up any of your confusion.



Our first flight took us to Washington DC. It was a much smaller plane than any of us expected. I sat by Maria, Michael sat by Dan, and my mom sat by herself against the wall. I read through a seventeen magazine that Maria had and another magazine I found in the pocket of the plane and another, beautiful chapter of Bittersweet. I am remembering my love for reading and writing and words. I couldn't imagine being in the percent of the world that is illiterate. It is just such a sad thing. Although I'm sure those people don't know what they're missing out on-and have worse problems to deal with. It is kind of a gift to know how to read and to be able to read anything we desire. I think people, myself included, need to take more advantage of this. There is so much we can get from reading-stories of the past and ideas of the future and the way things work and explanations of peoples feelings and thoughts and beliefs and adventures such as my own that I share on my blog. I thought about this between reading, and watching the man in front of my mom edit some sort of text. It was really cool to watch, even though he only wrote one thing before the flight ended.

Pulling up to the airport in DC, it looked so big. So new. So full of adventure. Boy was I wrong. It was crammed and busy and the area we had to stay in was really small. And we were there for a long time. About 3 hours. I kept myself occupied by playing spider solitaire on my computer. I was so determined to win a game with two suits, but never did. I also ate some of Maria's auntie anne's pretzel sticks, and texted, and braided hair, and laughed at my mom as she practiced being a mean teacher.

     


Finally we got on our flight and made it to our third airport of the day-in Providence, Rhode Island!! At first, I was a little disappointed. I had a window seat and when we got to my very favorite part of the flight-when we are close enough to be able to make out each car and tree and house and swimming pool and ball field, but still high enough that they are small enough to look like I could reach my hand out and pick up each one then place them in a doll house- I was so in love with what I saw. However after the baggage claim miracle (the very first suitcase out was ours and the other four were soon to follow and the fact that they all came out right before the carousel stopped) we sat on a bench beside a big window while Dan dealt with the rental car person. I looked out the window only to see a few old New England fresh lemonade trucks in an overgrown lot beside some rusted trailers. Oh and I may never forget the random boxing training/lesson going on in the parking lot outside the window. But. Then. We got in the car and drove past the trees. And I saw the ocean and the sail boats and the Rhode Island licensee plates that read "the ocean state." I have never previously been in Rhode Island, but instantly a part of me felt a sense of belonging and being at home and being connected to everything this state is about.



 After settling in our hotel in Middletown, we drove a few minutes to Newport for dinner. Being recommended by a local, we decided to eat at the Brick Alley. We walked through three different rooms/areas before getting to the one we ate at. Right as we sat down the familiar strums of You and Your Heart by Jack Johnson played and I knew we picked the right restaurant. The walls in it were full. Three of the walls were painted yellow, although it was not noticeable because of how jam packed they were with other things to look at. Full of pictures of race cars and mustang posters and football helmets and a few mounted animal heads. The other wall was cobblestone, which was pleasing too. The menus we really big and had almost every type of food someone could think of as well as a funny warning about leaving unattended children. We toasted to our first night on the trip, and to my mom and Dan's second wedding anniversary- more on that later. The guys ordered steak and the girls ate appetizers. I got bruschetta which was really good. We were all hungry after a long day of traveling, and all very satisfied by the time we finished dinner.







After eating, we explored a little. We walked around up and down the street the restaurant was on. Most stores were closed, so we just peered into their windows. All of the window displays looked so attractive. Beachy, boat, sailing, touristy like. We did walk around in a few stores. They were cute too, but I'm excited to get to go inside the others tomorrow.



Once everyone got tired of walking around, and after my mom saw a real handsome, young, Italian looking guy hand stickers to Maria and I for a frozen yogurt place-they decided it was time to go back to the hotel. We did a little exploring there. Only to find out that the pool was already closed for the night and that the workout room was kind of just pathetic. So we hung out back in our rooms. Since then I have basically just been blogging my heart out and listening to a new Pandora station-Landon Pigg.

Now one final thought before I go to sleep. My mom and Dan's anniversary. I am so happy they found each other and are together. Dan has brought so much life and joy to our family-but mostly, obvi, to my mom. They love spending time together whether that be watching Jeopardy or going to the grocery store or going on a run or sitting in bed drinking their morning coffee. They laugh and smile and love. Love each other and love us kids. I also know we have done a lot, that we probs wouldn't have done if Dan never entered the picture. For example I couldn't see this trip happening with just us three and my mom. And even though it has barely even started, I love it so much already and am so happy we are embarking on this trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment