June 1, 2011

Day of Firsts

Today was a day of firsts. Some things have been the first since a while, and some the very first ever for me. Starting a blog would be the main one. I have always like the idea of keeping a diary or journal but have never been able to stick with it. I have feared this would happen if I started a blog as well. But now that school is over, I think I have the time and capability to make sure I write regularly. At least for the summer.

In gymnastics there has been an ongoing joke of having a "Maddy moment" rather than a blonde moment. The team is like a family, and I am comfortable sharing all of my thoughts with them. Then they let me know when they are not the brightest. But I don't want this blog to just be about funny incidents like not remembering how people get down the hill when they go skiing or not understanding why the bus stops and opens its doors on the railroad track where it has a better chance of getting hit (which I learned it doesn't actually stop on them). I want to share in all the adventures of my day, even if they are serious or sad or joyful. This way I will be able to remember life more fully and reflect on all that occurred. I think this is an important step that is often over looked in the pace of today's world. I also tend to seem more shy and reserved, but it just takes me longer to come out of my shell than other people. I am excited that I can do that more easily on my blog and share my thoughts and hopes and wishes and stories that other times I may be too shy to say out loud.

Today I woke up on the first day of June which is my first day of summer and laid in my bed watching Not Since You. It was the first time I have watched it, but seemed similar to other love stories. Even though a lot of them run together in my head, I love chick flicks and any movie with a good romance.
Then, I sorted through many stacks of papers that have been cluttering my room. I like to hold on to things usually. But it felt so great letting go and throwing things away. I continued to do the same, but in my mom's classroom. She gave me odd jobs to do that helped prepare her room for the summer.
I came home, but left shortly after to go swimming at the country club with Hilary and Colby. The chilly water felt good on my warm skin. Then they dropped me off at my house, I packed for the night, and came to my dad's.

It was good to finally come here. I spent some of Memorial Day with my Dad but hadn't stayed the night in a very long time because his work has caused him to be out of town so much lately. Even though I dislike packing and going back and fourth, I dislike not seeing my Dad much more. We celebrated by making a big bowl of his famous popcorn for dinner. All Demeters love popcorn and consume it quickly.
Sarah biked down the street to my house and I joined her on a bike ride. We rode down Main Street all the way downtown and back to my dad's. But the sidewalks were so narrow that we were not able to talk so once we got back we went on a walk. We talked about the tennis banquet that I missed and about sports. I couldn't name all of the teams in any national league, but sports are a huge part of my life. I have always been active and involved in sports. I play three sports just like Sarah, and although I like the week between them I wouldn't want it to be any longer. I love being a part of something bigger, being a team. I love being coached and taught new things that help us all improve and I love succeeding and making someone proud. When we came home from our walk we made snow cones.



The first ones of many to be eaten this summer.


 

They left us with cold, blue-stained tongues and teeth and big smiles.


Sarah biked home minutes before it got dark. I came inside and planned to create this blog, but Steph got home first. We have been trying to run together lately and have been doing a decent job. She had to ran to Kroger and picked me up to tag along. Steph drive and I ride shot gun in her car. We always sing loudly and talk a lot. Tonight we listened to Drops of Jupiter, Out of My League, and She Will Be Loved.
  

By the time we got home plus the added time it would take us to change, it was too late to go on our run. I was perfectly okay with that and instead came home and created my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment