June 2, 2011

Strawberries & Soccer

This morning luckily I woke up on time even though I forgot to set my alarm. I like to think I am aware of my surroundings and what I have to do even when I'm asleep. I quickly got ready and met the national art honor society at 8:30 by the fountain downtown. NAHS only does on fundraiser a year. We paint big red strawberries on downtown business's windows a week or two before the Strawberry Festival. This year was a little different. There was not a large flock of us, and we had to contact the businesses right then and there. They didn't get the option to preorder like usual. My friend Morgan and I were a little anxious about this after our experience trying to sell yearbook ads last year. We did not run into any of the problems we faced then. This time the sponsors was over the top organized which helped a lot. We split into groups, were given lists of businesses, and handed cups of paint.
 

Mrs. Ballenger and Mrs. McCormick did a quick demonstration before letting us lose. Even though this was my third year painting, I love to watch my art teachers show us how. They seem to do it so flawlessly and effortlessly.
 

Morgan, Olivia, and I painted at about 15 different places downtown. Going inside and talking to people ended up being good- I got to see some familiar faces including members of my church, my gymnastics coach, and my friend's parents. It was also interesting to be inside of all the working places and seeing the different people and jobs and insides of so many buildings I'd only passed but never been inside of. Painting was my favorite part. It was great seeing the strawberries fully come together once the red coat had dried and we could come back to add the stem, seeds, and flowers. When I was younger I always loved seeing the strawberries and knew it meant the festival would be soon. I never imagined one day I would be helping paint them.
 


After we finished, all of the groups met back up at the fountain. We put our paint cups back in our teachers' cars and went to Little Mexico for lunch. Their cokes were especially satisfying and my normal order of cheese nachos was quite tasty. I loved being able to sit and chat with Mrs. Ballenger and Mrs. McCormick. It was hilarious hearing Mrs. Ballenger describe "the lady has huge thighs. I mean seriously-thunder thighs. But that guy standing above her sure doesn't mind." She was talking about one of the paintings in the booth beside us. It is also always interesting observing the interaction between the two teachers and seeing their different personalities. But, both always seem to be so honest and sincere and always able to share great stories. The art classes I have taken- intro to art 2d/3d, photo I and II, and ceramics have all been my favorite classes. A lot of this is credited to such wonderful teacher and their projects that have allowed me to create and build and learn and grow.

After lunch Morgan, Mrs. Ballenger, and I went to Kroger to finish painting the last five. We even put a little one on my car window before leaving.
 

When I finally got home it was 3:30 and I was exhausted. I got online and filled out an application to work at Kroger. I am eager to find a job for the summer and hope that I am able to. Afterwards, I went to the basement with my dog Maggie and we took a solid nap. I love when Maggie settles down and curls up on the couch next to me. That is a rare side of her that is often overlooked.

I woke up and the rest of my evening consisted of eating dinner and watching Jeopardy with my mom and Dan, jumping and flipping on the trampoline, and playing soccer with Maggie. I love watching her perk up when I ask if she wants to play soccer or where her ball is. She seems to smile every time. I am not even sure how I got Maggie started playing soccer, but she has become an even better player than me. She is so fast and wants the ball more than I do. Maggie seems to have learned all of my tricks and can easily get the ball from me. She could definitely beat Airbud any day. But, she does need some more endurance. That is my fault. Luckily, I have plenty of time to spend with her now that it is summer. Although she gets worn out even quicker with the heat.
 


With this blog, I have started carrying my camera with me again. I have always had a camera close by since my first Barbie polaroid one I got when was five or six. It is so much fun capturing moments with my camera. I also like to try to take not just pictures, but artful photographs with different angles and perspectives and ideas.

I am so excited that summer is finally here and that I spent my day well. I like to stay busy and today not only was I busy, but I got to spend the day with people (and a dog) that I love and doing fun things. I hope this continues as summer goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment