June 30, 2011

I think I'll go to Boston [...] Where no one knows my name

I blogged on time yesterday, but my internet suddenly wouldn't work when I wanted to post it. I'm real sad this is about June 29 but that the date stamp says June 30 :( And I don't have time to upload all of the pictures yet. But I will when we come back to the hotel!!

After sleeping in a little, eating breakfast, and packing up our bags we got in the car and drove to Boston. For most of the drive I was asleep. But we got there and we found our hotel. We are staying at the Omni Parker House. Not only is it very fancy, but it has a lot of history. It is the oldest continuously operating hotel in the country. So many notable, famous people have stayed here or met here for meetings including Charles Dickens, JFK, Clinton, Grant, FDR, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Nathaniel Hawthorne, & John Wilkes Booth to name a few. Also Malcom X and Ho Chi Minh worked in Parker's Restaurant here. It is the restaurant where the Boston cream pie was created and where JFK proposed to Jackie Kennedy, and where Booth stayed eight days before Lincoln's assassination.





We walked around a little, then got on a trolley tour. The first tour guide was really good. He knew everything and gave enough information to keep my interest, but not any more and he was really funny too. I'm so impressed by their abilities to know all of the facts and stories & retell them all while driving a trolley around the narrow, crowded streets of Boston. He told us the joke of how it's said dogs have to wag their tails vertically because the streets are so narrow. We drove past the sight of the Boston Tea party and where Paul Revere rode his horse, and lots of other historic places.




Then we got off and went to lunch. We went to the Quincy Market. Inside there was every kind of food stand you could possibly think of, and it seemed all of Boston wanted to eat there. The people and the many different options was a little overwhelming but I ended up eating pasta shells.



We walked to the Harbor and waited in line for half an hour for the next boat of the Harbor tours. It was very worth it. I loved it. I loved being on the boat and I loved being able to see all the sailboats in the water & the city sky line. I also liked snatching a look at the boy in the green shirt and backpack. There was also information on this tour, but I dismissed a lot of it. Instead I stood up at the front of the third floor, leaning on the railing and took in the sights.



     

 
      

 Once the tour was over, we got off the ship, stopped for lemon Italian ice, then walked back to the hotel. Dan and I went to workout while the others napped and hung out in the room. I jogged for a mile then did a lot of random machines. It was pretty fun. Then Dan and I showered and we all got ready to go out for dinner.

I don't even remember the place we ate at-but I know it was around the Quincy Market area and it started with an A. We weren't too pleased with the menu, but the food ended up being pretty good. I got a walnut and berries salad to eat. Then we spent the rest of the evening exploring and walking around to the different stores. Most were stores that we can find anywhere, like American Eagle. I ended up buying a gray skirt at Urban Outfitters. On sale of course. Apparently my mom and Dan also found my perfect guy- dark hair, blue eyes, and a thick Boston accent. They also decided he had to be part Irish and could play in my favorite movie PS I Love You.



 Here are some other sight seeing/artistic photographs from Boston that I really like but that don't really fit with anything I wrote about:


No comments:

Post a Comment